Thursday, September 5, 2013

Wikipedia

I'm sure that most of you know what Wikipedia is. If you're at all like me you have used it to prove your husband wrong LOL. I know that I put little thought into how companies online survive. Wikipedia is just a tool that I use and it's free so that's an extra perk. This morning while looking up the word "ginormous" (to prove to my husband that it was a word and not something I made up.) I noticed this:

"Dear Wikipedia readers: We are the small non-profit that runs the #5 website in the world. We have only 175 staff but serve 500 million users, and have costs like any other top site: servers, power, programs, and staff. Wikipedia is something special. It is like a library or a public park. It is like a temple for the mind, a place we can all go to think and learn. To protect our independence, we'll never run ads. We take no government funds. We survive on donations averaging about $30. Now is the time we ask. If everyone reading this gave $3, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. If Wikipedia is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online and ad-free another year. Please help us forget fundraising and get back to Wikipedia. Thank you."

http://en.wikipedia.org

The big dog here is in fact a small dog. I guess they just have a big bark that landed them the 5th biggest website in the world, but still. I'm not associated with the site at all. I just wanted to bring to your attention that the site is asking for a little help. If this is a tool that you use and you can spare a few bucks please pass along a little kindness.

“No one has ever become poor by giving.”
Anne Frank, diary of Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment