Monday, September 30, 2013

Inside Job


I know it's easy to look for happiness on the outside. Friends to make you laugh, a partner to make you feel like the most precious person in the world, or co-workers to tell you how smart you. It's easy to want others to shower us with words to make us happy. Sadly, just like most things in life happiness isn't that easy. True happiness requires work from ourselves. We have to like ourselves, love ourselves, and see life in a positive light. We have to CHOOSE to be happy! All of us have the power to make ourselves happy. It's not always easy and often time it's easier to see the things in ourselves that make us unhappy.

The other day I was thinking of all the things that make me happy. They all were external. Not one thing on my list had anything to do with me. It took me awhile to adjust my list to include things about me, things that I controlled. I came up with only a small handful of things at first. I'm a happy person and really do love my life, but real internal happiness took me awhile to stumble upon.

During my early 20's I spent a lot of time learning about myself and trying to fix the things I didn't like. Now I'm in my early 30's and I am happy with who I am. I can even branch out and say that I love the person I have become. Yes, I have my fair share of flaws. The flaws will continue to be a work in progress. I'm happy. I'm happy with my marriage and with my children. I'm still trying to find some happiness in my career, but for now I am happy being a stay at home mommy and blogging.

Cheers to HAPPINESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment